WEST ALLIS, WIS., Nov. 18, 2013 – Dr. Julio Rodriguez, a general dentist who lives and practices in Brodhead, Wis., was sworn in as the first Latino president of the 3,200-member Wisconsin Dental Association at the organization’s 143rd House of Delegates on Nov. 16 at the Madison Marriott West in Middleton, Wis.
In his acceptance speech, Rodriguez urged WDA member dentists and dental hygienists to, “See challenges as opportunities for growth. It is time to re-evaluate the old ways and embrace the future.”
“Working together as one, dentistry can and will meet its local, state and national challenges with positive results for our patients and the overall oral health care of Wisconsin’s residents and our nation,” he said.
Rodriguez joined WDA leadership in 2005 as a Southwest Region trustee. He has represented the WDA in the American Dental Association House of Delegates as an alternate or delegate since 2005. He has also served on the WDA Insurance and Services Corp. advisory board.
He is a member of the Rock County and Chicago dental societies and the Hispanic Dental Association. Other groups benefiting from his volunteer spirit are Green County Health Department advisory board, Fowler Memorial Free Dental Clinic, Green County Seal A Smile, Give Kids A Smile® and WDA Mission of Mercy.
A fellow of the Pierre Fauchard Academy, American College of Dentists and International College of Dentists, Rodriguez was named ICD-USA Section Distinguished Deputy of the Year for 2013. He is a past recipient of the Lions Club International Foundation’s Melvin Jones Fellowship for humanitarian service.
Other 2013 – 2014 WDA officers:
- President-Elect Dr. Paul Levine resides in River Hills, Wis. and has a general practice in Brown Deer, Wis. He previously served as WDA vice president and Greater Milwaukee Region trustee. Levine is also a Greater Milwaukee Dental Association past-president.
- Vice President Dr. Ryan Braden is a general dentist who lives and practices in Lake Geneva, Wis. A Marquette University School of Dentistry graduate, Braden represented his fellow dental students on the WDA board in 2003-2004. He rejoined the board in 2007 as a Southeast Region trustee.
- Immediate Past-President Dr. Timothy Durtsche is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon who lives and practices in La Crosse, Wis. Durtsche served six years as a WDA Southwest Region trustee before being elected vice president in 2010 and president-elect in 2011. He is also a past-president of the La Crosse District Dental Society and Wisconsin Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Editor Dr. Robert Brennan is a general dentist who works and lives in Neenah, Wis. A former WDA Northeast Region trustee and Winnebago County Dental Society president, Brennan is entering the final year of a four-year term. A Tri-County Community Dental Clinic founder and past-president, he continues to volunteer there.
- Treasurer Dr. John R. Moser is a Milwaukee resident with a general dental practice in the Historic Third Ward. He is also an associate professor in the Department of General Dentistry at MUSOD. A GMDA past-president and former Greater Milwaukee Region trustee, Moser is beginning his third three-year term in this WDA board-appointed post.
- Speaker of the WDA House of Delegates Dr. Richard Lofthouse was re-elected to a fifth one-year term. Lofthouse is a general dentist who lives and practices in Fennimore, Wis. He is a former Southwest Region trustee and a Southwestern District Dental Society past-president.
Newly-elected WDA trustees include:
- Dr. Ed Chiera is a general dentist who lives and practices in Beloit, Wis. He will represent the Southeast Region.
- Rosa Barnes is in her third-year at Marquette’s dental school and will represent all MUSOD students on the WDA board for one year.
Re-elected to the WDA board:
- Northwest Region Trustee Dr. Jeff Nehring is a general dentist living and working in Mercer, Wis.
- Northeast Region Trustee Dr. Pete Hehli is a resident of Greenville, Wis. with a general dental practice in the Wisconsin cities of Appleton and Sheboygan.
- Greater Milwaukee Region Trustee Dr. Tom Kielma lives in Hartland, Wis. and has a general dental practice in Milwaukee and Delafield, Wis.
- Southwest Region Trustee Dr. Dave Clemens is a general dentist who lives and practices general dentistry in Wisconsin Dells.