Swanson has been a member of the WDA Foundation board for more than 10 years. He served as vice president from 2011 through 2013 and was treasurer from 2005 through 2010.
During his board tenure, Swanson has been instrumental in establishing the Donated Dental Services program. The DDS program provides comprehensive (and often costly) dental care at no charge to adults who cannot work due to a permanent disability, chronic illness or advanced age, and public aid programs do not meet their oral health needs.
A graduate of Northwestern University Dental School, Swanson is a WDA past-president. He is also a fellow of the American College of Dentists, International College of Dentists and the Pierre Fauchard Academy.
Other recent appointments to the WDA Foundation board include:
- Andrew Lehmkuhl, principal of Edge Advisors, LLC and Wrightstown, Wis. resident, director-at-large
- Dr. John Sadowski, general dentist and Manitowoc, Wis. resident, director representing WDA Northeast Region
- Dr. Anthony Sciascia, general dentist and Mondovi, Wis. resident, immediate past-president
- Dr. Ronald Stifter, retired general dentist residing in Saukville, Wis., director emeritus
- Thomas Witkowski, retired WDA Insurance and Services Corp. president and Brookfield, Wis. resident, director-at-large