FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WEST ALLIS, WIS., Nov. 15, 2011 – Dr. Steven Stoll, a Menasha resident with a general dental practice in Neenah, was sworn in as president of the 3,000-member Wisconsin Dental Association at the organization’s 141st House of Delegates held Nov. 11 – 12 at The American Club in Kohler, Wis.
Stoll has identified two priorities for his presidential year which begins immediately: increase grassroots members’ involvement and strengthen cooperative working relationships with state legislators.
“All dentists need to be engaged in WDA activities. As doctors of oral health, we have a responsibility to help our elected officials and the public understand that dental health is critical to overall health and ensuring residents have proper dental care is important to our state economically and socially,” Stoll explains.
A 1976 Marquette University School of Dentistry graduate, Stoll was a captain in the U.S. Army Dental Corps from 1976 – 1980 during which time he completed a one-year general practice residency. He entered private practice in 1980.
Stoll worked his way up the Winnebago County Dental Association officer ranks, chaired the Business Liaison Committee and represented his component in the WDA House of Delegates for six years. Stoll joined the WDA board as a Northeast Region trustee in 2003. He was elected vice president in 2009 and president-elect in 2010.
His volunteer commitments include the Tri-County Community Dental Clinic, Give Kids a Smile®, WDA Foundation Donated Dental Services and WDA Mission of Mercy. He is a fellow in the International College of Dentists and Pierre Fauchard Academy.
Other 2011 – 2012 WDA officers are:
- President-Elect Dr. Timothy Durtsche who practices and lives in La Crosse. A University of Minnesota School of Dentistry graduate, he has an oral and maxillofacial surgery certificate from University of Minnesota Hospitals. Durtsche is an adjunct clinical faculty for Gundersen Lutheran’s Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency. A past-president of the Wisconsin Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons and La Crosse District Dental Society, he represented the Southwest Region on the WDA board and was elected vice president in 2010. Durtsche was local co-chair for the WDA Mission of Mercy in La Crosse in 2009. He co-chaired the La Crosse Fluoridation Campaign and is an American College of Dentists, ICD and PFA fellow.
- Vice President Dr. Julio Rodriguez lives and practices general dentistry in Brodhead. A graduate of the National University of San Marcos in Lima, Peru, he joined the WDA board in 2005 as trustee for the Southwest Region after serving in multiple Green County Dental Society officer posts. Among the groups benefiting from his volunteerism is Green County Health Department Advisory Board, Fowler Memorial Free Dental Clinic, Green County Seal A Smile, GKAS and WDA MOM. A PFA and ICD fellow, Rodriguez recently received the Lions Club International Foundation’s Melvin Jones Fellowship for humanitarian service.
- Editor Dr. Robert Brennan is a general dentist who works and lives in Neenah. A former WDA Northeast Region trustee and Winnebago County Dental Society president, Brennan is entering the second year of a four-year term. A TCCDC founder and past-president, he continues to volunteer there. Brennan is a MUSOD graduate.
- Treasurer Dr. John R. Moser is a Milwaukee resident with a general dental practice in the Third Ward. A MUSOD graduate, he is an adjunct clinical assistant professor in that school’s Department of General Dentistry. Moser is a Greater Milwaukee Dental Association past-president and former Greater Milwaukee Region trustee.
- Immediate Past-President Dr. Eugene Shoemaker is a Waukesha resident and general dentist. He served on the WDA board as a trustee for the Southeast Region and is a Waukesha County Dental Society past-president. A MUSOD graduate, Shoemaker was state chair of the WDA MOM events in 2009 and 2010 and is state co-chair for the 2012 event scheduled for late June in Madison. Shoemaker is an ACD, ICD and PFA fellow.
- Speaker of the WDA House of Delegates Dr. Richard Lofthouse is a general dentist who lives and practices in Fennimore. He was re-elected speaker for a third one-year term. Lofthouse is a former Southwest Region trustee and past-president of the Southwestern District Dental Society. Honors include fellowship in the PFA, ACD and ICD. A MUSOD graduate, he is a retired General Iowa Army National Guard Dental Corps brigadier general.
Newly-elected WDA trustees include:
- Dr. Patrick Tepe, Middleton resident with general dental offices in Verona and Madison, Southwest Region
- Michael Jumes, third-year MUSOD student living in Milwaukee, will represent all Marquette dental students on the WDA board for one year
Re-elected to the Board of Trustees were: