Many people think baby teeth don’t matter because they’ll eventually fall out. The truth is baby teeth do matter. Primary, or baby teeth, are very important to a child’s early physical, social and emotional development.
Healthy baby teeth:
- Foster good nutrition through proper chewing
- Aid in speech development
- Build self-esteem by providing a beautiful smile
- Enable a child to pay attention and learn in school without the distraction of dental pain
- Save space in the jaw that is needed for proper development of adult (permanent) teeth
The WDA “Baby Teeth Matter” message promotes the importance of good oral health during a child’s early years. It also reminds the general public of oral health’s importance to overall well-being.