Talking to children and teens about their oral health can be a rewarding activity.
In addition to school classrooms, there are other groups that serve children and could benefit from oral health education activities (e.g., Boys and Girls, Head Start programs, faith-based youth groups, YMCA/YWCA).
National Children’s Dental Health Month posters (English and Spanish) are available through the WDA. Each February, a new poster features messages for children and teens to help speakers, teachers and others address important oral health information.
The WDA loans these resources to member dentists to use for school and other presentations:
- Mouth model with toothbrush
- Mr. Grossmouth (model shows gross consequences of smoking cigarettes and using smokeless tobacco)
- Brushing Magic with Dudley and Dee Dee DVD
- Dudley the Dinosaur’s Classroom Adventure DVD
- Sesame Street Ready, Set, Brush: A Pop-Up Book
Contact WDA Communications Coordinator Davis Renzelmann at [email protected] or 414-755-4110 for more information.
Additional online resources
- Free brochures/publications
- Classroom ideas and resources
- Medline Plus Children’s Dental Health
- Two minutes, twice a day resources
Invite a dentist to your classroom or visit a dental office
Contact your personal dentist or another local dentist to see if your students might visit his/her dental office.
Need help arranging for a dental office visit and/or speaker? Contact a local dental society officer in your area.