Being a Medicaid Provider in an Era of Accountability
January 29 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Dr. Sidney Whitman, pediatric dentist in NJ and chair of CAAP’s Medicaid Provider Advisory Committee (MPAC)
- Dr. Allen Finkelstein, CEO Bedford Healthcare Solutions and MPAC member
- Dr. Charles Czerepak, pediatric dentist in IL and MPAC member
- Dr. Steve Geiermann, senior manager, CAAP (moderator)
Course Description: Despite misconceptions and fears associated with being a Medicaid provider, treating this population can be rewarding and not cut adversely into your bottom line. Members of the ADA’s Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention (CAAP) Medicaid Provider Advisory Committee will share insights, opportunities and challenges regarding program integrity, compliance, fraud, advocacy and how better to safeguard your practice while providing care to this growing population in an era of increasing accountability and scrutiny. Special emphasis will be given to the importance of proper documentation of medical necessity.
Learning Objectives: At the conclusion of this presentation, attendees will be able to:
- Implement efficient practice protocols to safeguard practice viability
- Protect oneself from unintentional non-compliance resulting in fraud allegations
- Recruit other Medicaid providers through positive advocacy and role modeling
Course is eligible for continuing dental education credits.
Usual Duration: 2.5-3 hours
- Dr. Whitman graduated from the New York University School of Dentistry. He completed his postgraduate studies in pediatric dentistry at Temple University School of Dentistry. He works in a 130-person practice that treats children and adolescents, including Medicaid patients. He is chair of the NJ Oral Health Coalition and the state Medicaid advisory committee, as well as overseeing a pediatric dental residency.
- Dr. Czerepak graduated from Fairleigh Dickinson University Dental School. He is the founder of Pine Dental Care, a community-based private practice dedicated to the dental and oral health of children. He has served as the president of the Medical/ Dental Staff at the former Children’s Memorial Hospital (CHM), interim head of the Division of Dentistry at CMH and is a trustee of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the Illinois State Dental Society.
- Dr. Finkelstein is the CEO of Bedford Healthcare Solutions. He has been the chief dental officer for United Health Group. He has served as a dental consultant for Horizon Blue Cross/Blue Shield of New Jersey.
- A retired USPHS Captain with experience in the Indian Health Service and Federally Qualified Health Centers, Dr. Geiermann was a HRSA regional dental consultant for more than a decade while building a strong oral health infrastructure aligned with overall health care. He currently serves on the ADA’s Council on Advocacy for Access and Prevention and is a board member of the Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN), the American Institute of Dental Public Health (AIDPH) and the Organization for Safety Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP). \